Thursday, July 7, 2011

Potty Training

Am I crazy for starting this right now? don’t answer that question!!  Micah has been very interested in the potty and poo poo for a while now.  We had a lot of stuff going on for the past few months or I might have started it sooner.  We just got back from vacation, so I figured now would be a great time to start.  I knew it would be hard, but this is insane! 

I decided I was going to start by letting him go with out a diaper or undies.  After talking to a few people, I decided I wanted him to be able to see where the pee was coming from and to be able to identify what he was feeling with what he was seeing.  If we made it to the potty…then yay!  I didn’t plan to make him sit on the potty today.  I planned to start that in a day or 2.  I have been asking him if he needs to pee and if he needs to sit on the potty but I don’t think he recognizes what that means yet. 

I can say that he has peed in the potty 3 times today. More than I could have asked for.  How many times has he went off the potty?? hmm…like 20?  I am trying to not get discouraged on the first day.  We were pretty excited when I put him on the potty after nap today just to let him sit on it and he actually peed.  I was not excited when I had him stand up to look at it and he stuck his hand in it to splash around a little.  I also wasn’t excited when he peed in the floor 5 minutes later and Ty came through and slipped in it and bonked his head.  I also wasn’t excited 5 minutes after that when Micah climbed on the couch and peed again all over the blanket I had put on there to protect it or when he turned ever so slightly to pee all over the back of the couch. 

My goal for the rest of the day is to figure out how to know when he is finished peeing instead of him going every 5 minutes.  This happened all day long pretty much.  He would go on the potty or even in the floor and I would think he would be done, but 5 minutes later he would go again, then 10 minutes later he would go again!  So confusing! 

No comments:

Post a Comment