Saturday, December 4, 2010

Crayon Stocking Stuffers

 

I love reading blogs. It is just something I love to do.  Most of all, I love getting new ideas from blogs that I love to read.  So, I found this awesome crayon blog.  It looked super cute! and super easy!  Micah has really been interested in drawing recently.  If I am making one of my many lists, he comes over and wants to use my pen.  So, when I saw that I could make big crayons for chubby little baby hands out of recycled crayons I thought it was perfect!!!!

First, I asked for crayons on facebook from anyone that was just throwing them away.  I know from being a child once, there are always little broken crayons that you just don’t use anymore. At some point moms just have to throw them out!! or makes new crayons out of them:)

They were actually pretty easy to make. The most time consuming part was separating the colors and brands and peeling the paper off.  The peeling the paper off was the worst.  I kept sticking sharp crayon paper under my nails and it really hurt.  I then (near the end) got out a knife and start cutting the paper off.  I only had to endure 2 or 3 knife pokes.  Let me tell you, 2 days later and the skin under my nails are still sore!  Anyways, you should separate brands.  It is supposed to make the crayons turn out better. 

Heat water on the stove in a saucepan.  Use a clean, dry can to put your broken up pieces of crayon in. You won’t even imagine what I had to eat to get cans empty for this project….that’s a joke…we had soup for dinner.  2 cans of soup and 1 can of pineapples later and I was ready to go! 

You just set the can in the saucepan that has water in it.  It melts pretty fast. I used a wooden skewer to stir, you can also you a dowel.  As soon as it melts, you just poor it in the the candy mold.  I bought my candy molds from Amazon for $2 each.  Don’t pick up the mold full of melted crayon till it sets up a little. If you don’t believe me come look at the blue crayon that is splattered around my stove!  Put it in the fridge or freezer for a few minutes, when it gets cold the crayons just pop right out! That’s it!

I plan to give these to Ty, Micah, & Dexter for Christmas in their stockings.  Cute, cute, cute!!

161copy 169copy166copy  172copy 188copy

Oh, and Micah was very excited when he saw these….he thought they were treats!! He wanted to eat one…uh oh:)

3 comments:

  1. I think this is a super cute idea. I think you should make these for your booth next year also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these, Deborah!! Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this are totally adorable!!!

    ReplyDelete