Thursday, August 5, 2010

Birthday Shirts

 

Having twins has been SO much fun!  I can’t believe in only 7 days my tiny babies will be 1 year old!!  It has been fun coming up with ideas for their birthday party:)  The most interesting thing I have done so far is their birthday shirts.  I had it all planned out in my head of course.  Trust me, they looked ALOT different:)   However, I am very pleased with how they have turned out! 

013 

I went to Walmart and Hobby Lobby to get my things.  Unfortunately, all they had in plain, white shirts were longs sleeves!  No problem! I will make it work!   So, I have my shirt, my fabric, Heat bond (lite) for sewing, embroidery thread, and needles. Oh, and an iron and board:)

016

Cut off a swatch of fabric. Big enough to cut out your design.  Place it on your adhesive strip.  Next time I do this, I think I will cut that extra stuff off that’s showing in the pic. That way the fabric is all that shows.  I had trouble not touching my iron to it, so I had glue on my iron:)

018

Trace your design on the back of the fabric and paper.  Then just cut it out!

019

Your shirt should be washed, dried, and ironed before you do any of this.  You would know this when reading the Heat Bond instructions.  But then iron on your design.  Press hard for 6 seconds. I am sure I did it longer.

020

To give it a more ‘finished’ look, I sewed the edges with a thick thread.  You can either hand stitch this or use a sewing machine. I preferred the hand stitch look here.  If you don’t plan on sewing this, there is a different adhesive than the lite that you should use. 

181

Finished product! I am very happy with the results:)

Now I just need to try them on the boys and see how they look!!

2 comments:

  1. that looks awesome! you did such a great job. now i really want to make a tee for dex.

    ReplyDelete